Work Permit Application for Skilled Workers
ICCRC Canada Authorised Immigration Consultant & Saskatchewan Immigration Licensed Consultant in PUNJAB (INDIA)
People who intend to work in Canada must apply for and obtain a work permit before they are allowed to work in Canada. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule and some foreign nationals may be eligible to work without needing a work permit. Please check our Workers page for more information on Temporary Foreign Workers status.
The Government of Canada believes that foreign workers can help meet the labour needs when Canadians and permanent residents are not available. As Canadian employer, there are several options to choose from, based on your needs and the job you are offering.
- Canadian employers can hire foreign worker on a temporary basis when Canadian citizens and permanent residents are not available
- Employers can hire through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) or the International Mobility Program (IMP).
About the Process
Most foreign nationals need a work permit to work in Canada. If you’re not sure, you can find out if you need a work permit.
There are 2 types of work permits.
Employer-Specific Work Permit
An employer-specific work permit lets you work in Canada according to the conditions on your work permit, such as:
- the name of the specific employer you can work for
- how long you can work
- the location where you can work (if applicable)
Before you submit your application for an employer-specific work permit, the employer who wants to hire you must complete certain steps and give you either a copy of a Labour Market Impact Assessment or an offer of employment number to include in your application.
Open Work Permit
An open work permit lets you work for any employer in Canada, except for one that:
- is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions or
- regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages
You can only get an open work permit in specific situations.
Not sure which one you should get? Find out what type of work permit you need for your situation.
Eligibility Requirements for all Applicants
There are specific requirements you need to meet depending on where you are when you apply for your work permit.
But regardless of where you apply or which type of work permit you apply for, you must
- prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires;
- show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home;
- obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (we may ask you to give us a police clearance certificate);
- not be a danger to Canada’s security;
- be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed;
- not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions;
- not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages; and
- give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
You may contact us and share your documents for work permit of Canada & related inquiries at email@example.com