Study Permit Application

ICCRC Canada Authorised Immigration Consultant & Saskatchewan Immigration Licensed Consultant in PUNJAB (INDIA)

Canada is one of the most popular educational destinations in the world for international students, not only for university and college studies but for high school and language training as well. Studying in Canada not only provides you with valuable academic credentials and life experience but gives you an advantage if you plan to immigrate to Canada.

Many provinces have immigration programs specifically aimed at retaining their international graduates, and the Express Entry system gives extra points to those who have graduated from a post-secondary program in Canada.

The Post Graduate Work Permit program allows graduates to apply for an open work permit after graduation from their post-secondary program.  The duration of the work permit depends on the duration of program of study to a maximum of three years.

Find a university or college by province or by program:

The list of institutions recognized by IRCC as designated learning institutions can be viewed here:


At The Immigration Lounge, we can help you apply to your institution of choice, and handle your study permit application.  We can also apply to have your spouse and children accompany you in Canada while you study.

  • What is a Study Permit?

The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.

  • Get your Study Permit faster through the Student Direct Stream

Do you live in China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal or Vietnam? You might be able to get your study permit faster by applying online through the Student Direct Stream.


  • Eligibility Requirements

You can study in Canada if you:

  • are enrolled at a designated learning institution(DLI)
  • prove you have enough money to pay for your:
    • tuition fees
    • living expenses for yourself andany family members who come with you to Canada and
    • return transportation for yourself andany family members who come with you to Canada
  • obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate(if required)
  • are in good health and get a medical exam(if required)
  • prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires.
  • Get your Documents Ready

Before you apply for a study permit, you need:

  • an acceptance letterfrom a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • a valid passport or travel document
  • proof you can support yourself, and any family members who come with you, while you’re in Canada
  • Your Responsibilities

While studying in Canada you must:

  • make progress towards completing your program
  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:

  • if you’re allowed to work in Canada
  • if you’re allowed to travel within Canada
  • the date you must stop studying
  • People who don’t need a permit to study in Canada

Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. The cases below are exceptions.

Short- Term Studies (6 months or less)

You can study at any school in Canada without a study permit if:

  • your course or program lasts 6 months or less
  • your studies aren’t part of a longer program and
  • you’ll complete all your studies within the time we approved you to stay in Canada (usually 6 months after you enter)

If you’re taking prerequisite courses, you should get a study permit, even if the courses are less than 6 months long. If you don’t, you’ll have to apply for a study permit before you can start your full study program. Depending on processing times, you may not get it in time to start your studies.

Minor children in Canada

Minor children don’t need a study permit if:

  • they’re in kindergarten
  • they’re refugees or refugee claimants
  • their parents are refugees or refugee claimants or
  • they’re in pre-school, primary or secondary school, and they’re already in Canada with a parent who has a work or study permit

You may contact us and share your documents for study in Canada related inquiries at